The 9 finalists for the 2013 Annual MEDEA Awards were announced on 12 November 2013. They are (in alphabetical order):
- A scuola di genere by Scuola secondaria di I grado – Fucini centrale – Pisa (Italy),
- Dans les murs de la Casbah… by Université Rennes 2 (France),
- Deutsch lernen mit Musik – Das Bandtagebuch mit EINSHOCH6 by Deutsche Welle – Abteilung Sprachkurse (Germany),
- El Viaje Inesperado. Radioteatro como soporte formativo para personas con discapacidad intelectual by Escuela de Radio TEA FM (Spain),
- Film English by Uab Idiomes (Spain),
- Physique à main levée by Université Lille1 (France), Practice Your Music by Practice Your Music Corporation (Spain),
- The young Musicians of CuxAire by Amandus-Abendroth-Gymnasium (Germany) and
- WahaTv by Athénée Léonie de Waha (Belgium).
The overall winner will be announced during the MEDEA Awards Ceremony which takes place on Thursday 12th December during the Media & Learning Conference 2013 in Brussels.
This year the competition attracted 342 entries from 37 countries. Those entering could choose between submitting their entry as a production made by a professional company or semi-professional production unit or as one made by teachers, students, learners, parents, professors, individual or organisational representatives in primary education, secondary education, higher education, adult education, vocational education and/or training. This means that there will be two main awards, one for each category and each winner will receive a MEDEA Statuette. There will also be two additional prizes awarded. The first of these is the Special Prize for European Collaboration in the creation of Educational Media 2013, for which 83 submissions were made. The second special prize is for the Educational Media Promoting EU Citizenship. There were 92 submissions in this category.
The finalists were chosen by a jury made up of 118 education and media experts from 28 countries who evaluated the MEDEA entries in October. All finalists will attend the awards ceremony on Thursday, 12th December which is a highlight of the Media & Learning Conference and presentations by each of the finalists will be included in the conference programme.